Main Site | Join Robin Hood Coop | Projects | Events | Blog | Media | Forums | Mailing List | Twitter | Facebook

On investing -- how to broaden the possibilities, how to be strategic

@RSalisbury You are actually very on point here.

Part of the ‘recommendation engine’ is that it looks at the relations and positions of things (therefore not just related to investing - for example, how would one look at competence across health care when considering allocation of resources).

That’s facepalm funny.

I also like this idea… but honestly with current organization of RH, not realistic it would get realised right now (with all hands on deck with the RHC train and development of RHU)

1 Like

I like this thinking,and I think there’s space for discussing these far out ideas. However I simply don’t understand how it could work, even conceptually. Could you elaborate your idea a little more? I like the goal but I don’t understand how anything like this could work?

1 Like

Capitalization essentially represents three things: Expected future earnings, a risk adjustment, and the discounting of the future value based on some discount rate. “Capital,” as in the money value of assets in capitalism, is the present value of a capitalized asset; it is the expected future earnings, less the discount rate, adjusted for risk. The goal of the capitalist is to accumulate capital (future earnings) faster than the average rate of accumulation (which is the rate of inflation). To do this, a capitalist needs assets that are expected to earn a profit, that are low risk.

On a strategic level, co-ops (and other liberatory organizations) will have to work together to form an organized power (not necessarily a state, but an organization that is conscious of its social power) in order to create a free society that can resist capitalism. At some point, this will have to involve the “decapitalization” of the organization/members; decapitalization can be achieved through eliminating debt, the cessation of market purchasing (meaning the development of an internal industry), increasing the risk of assets, or achieving a zero/negative rate of inflation. Parasite, and perhaps other tools like it, could direct the process of decapitalization, by prioritizing it according to the capitalists’ own expectations.

2 Likes

On coops, the Resileince network suggests a kind of organized network of coops: https://medium.com/@resilience_me/resilience-a-fully-voluntary-wealth-sharing-network-6873c927736a

2 Likes

@Tere, see also libertarian municipalism and similar ideas

1 Like

I am not quite sure how parasite works and how it is correlated with market. But in this untsable market situation and if parasite is correlated with markets I would use some market neutral strategies with parasites to diversify risk.